Monday, November 1, 2010

Window Magic

Saturday was a very fun day at the flip house! When we initially looked at this house, my vision was of a bay window in the living room to dress up the outside of the house as well as brighten up the inside. On Saturday, what I envisioned became a reality! Instead of a bay window, we opted for a bow window as we were able to get one in a standard size from Menards. I was so excited to start the day on Saturday, so I did go a little snap happy with the camera as we were installing the window. However, that's okay, as you will now have many photos for your viewing pleasure! :)

We started off the morning with Chad pulling old siding off the front of the house, and Dad and Cory worked on the framing for the new window from the inside of the house. Mom and I picked up Chad's siding scraps, and I also did some raking on the west side of the house.







We did have a couple of minor mishaps during the morning involving injuries. First it was me whose head walked right into the plank on the pump jack (Honestly, I really don't know how that thing jumped out in front of me like it did...), and then Cory dropped a hammer on Dad's head. It's lucky we have such hard heads I guess. My forehead and the top of Dad's head were each a little tender the next day. After all the injury commotion, Mom decided it was time for a break for some treats. She loves to dish out her homemade goods...:)


After a little sweetness, it was back to work we went.









Tada! Check out the cool view we now have from the living room! I'm loving it!!






Once the hole was cut in the wall, and we removed Dad's head, we could install the window! The guys grabbed the window from in the garage and got it into place. Wouldn't you know it - these guys are so good, the window was level right from the start!






Ahh...my bow window. What a beauty!


After the bow window was installed, Dad decided to take some time to decide how he wanted to make the roof over the window. While Dad was thinking, the guys started working on the kitchen windows. I was told that Cory was so excited when Dad gave the go-ahead to start on the kitchen, that he started dancing around in the living room. Yeah, he's my brother, but I'm not sure if should admit it or not...

Again, the guys starting removing the old siding around the kitchen windows and then removed the windows. Dad and Cory decided to pose on their throne...


Cory demonstrated to Mom and me how badly the old windows had been installed. You could literally pull the studs off with your bare hands.


Two special visitors to the house on Saturday were Chad's parents! Arvid and Marj were able to stop by the house for awhile to visit with all of us and see the progress we were making on the house. Chad and Arvid ended up running to Menards for some more 2x4s, and the rest of us stayed at the house working and visiting. I thought it would be a fun picture for Chad and his parents to pose in front of the new bow window together!








Now this is how you properly frame in windows!








And we have kitchen windows!








Now that all the new windows are in, as well as the new front door, we are starting to get really excited about the progress! Tomorrow Dad and Kyle will be at the house in the morning, and Cory will join them in the afternoon. They are going to get the new kitchen/back door installed, and maybe get a start on some corners for the new siding. Since no one will have a camera during the day tomorrow (unfortunately I don't think my boss will let be skip paying the bills just so I can take some flip house photos), I will just have to take pictures of the finished products instead of the work in progress. It is really exciting to be seeing all the fun new features lately...and we will definitely see more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment